In collaboration with my favorite Paleo Blog, South of Vanilla, we bring you this impeccable appetizer and cocktail pairing, perfect to kick off any holiday party!
Friends, I cannot believe it has taken me this long to share this cocktail with you. Of all the (new age) cocktails of the world, this one is my favorite. And I know, that’s saying a lot! When I first tried the Andalucia in the Downtown Cocktail Room in Las Vegas, my world was changed. Andrew and I raved about it to friends. We kept going back for more. It was such a unique concoction. Then, a few months later, they shared the recipe in a local newspaper. I immediately wrote it down on whatever piece of scrap paper I could find–and I still have it.
This had to have been about 4 years ago now. Since Downtown Cocktail Room changes their menu seasonally, the Andalucia cocktail is long gone. But it still reigns as the seasonal winter cocktail in our house!
The Andalucia Cocktail
What makes this drink so special? Let’s just start with the garnish, shall we? This cocktail comes with a slice of manchego cheese and golden raisins. What cocktail have you ever had that is garnished with CHEESE? Besides that, the drink itself is concocted from cream sherry, Nocello (walnut liqueur), and sherry vinegar. Think of a slightly sweet, slightly warming, nutty cocktail that is perfect for the chilliest of nights.
Now, these are all ingredients that I don’t necessarily expect you to have just lying around the house. But its soooo worth it to buy them just to make this drink. Trust me on this one.
When Kristina gave me the recipe for her chorizo and goat cheese stuffed dates with honey balsamic drizzle, I was stumped on what to pair it with. These lovely little appetizers are sweet, spicy, fatty and acidic all at the same time. Wine was out of the question and beer was skeptical. But then I realized these would be perfect for cocktail hour, and so is the Andalucia. Winner!
By the way, the chorizo and goat cheese stuffed dates were a cinch to make. They also made me feel super fancy while sipping my Andalucia. This combination will be really great to welcome your guests at your next holiday party this season. Its also a great end to the night, especially if you’re a fan of having cocktails for dessert.
To get Kristina’s recipe for chorizo and goat cheese stuffed dates with honey balsamic drizzle, click here.
- 2 oz Cream Sherry
- 1 oz Nocello (walnut liqueur)
- ¼ tsp Sherry Vinegar
- 4 golden raisins, for garnish
- 1 small wedge of manchego cheese, for garnish
- Fill a martini glass with ice and water and allow it to chill while you prepare the cocktail
- Place a few ice cubes into a cocktail shaker and add the cream sherry, nocello, and sherry vinegar. Stir with the ice until chilled.
- Dump out the ice and water in the martini glass. Strain the contents of the cocktail shaker (leave out the ice) into the chilled martini glass.
- Place 2 golden raisins, then the wedge of manchego, then the last 2 raisins onto a cocktail pick. Serve over the martini glass and enjoy!